First National Bank began banking in a temporary mobile office in Livingston, Tennessee on October 25, 1965. The bank was organized by a group of community members who believed very strongly that a bank should bring value to the community it serves. First National Bank was organized under the leadership of Millard V. Oakley who remains an active Director of the bank.
In June of the following year the bank’s new building in Livingston located at 214 East Main Street was opened. Chief John Big Tree was the guest of honor at the July 20, 1966 Grand Opening Celebration. There are many people in the area who today fondly recall visiting that day with this icon from American history.
The bank’s tenth anniversary, October 25, 1975, was celebrated with the Grand Opening of the bank’s second full service banking office which was established on 1115 West Main Street in Livingston. Archie Campbell of “Hee Haw” fame entertained the many who attended. The new office provided full service banking, and a location for the bank’s Administrative and Deposit Operations departments.
On April 7, 1987, First National Bank filed an application for approval by the Comptroller of the Currency to expand outside the bank’s home county. During this time, this practice had long been prohibited in Tennessee by state laws. The application was approved and the bank changed its name to First National Bank of the Cumberlands.
First National Bank opened the Fountain Court office on March 15, 1988 and was the first bank in Tennessee in many decades with an approved full service office outside its home county. Nine years later, on May 10, 1997, First National Bank celebrated the Grand Opening of its new office building at 412 South Jefferson Avenue.
First National Bank expanded on September 15, 1997 with temporary quarters in a house adjacent to the 1386 North Main Street construction site of its new bank building. First National Bank of the Cumberlands celebrated the Grand Opening of its new Crossville Office in May 16, 1998.
In 2004, First National Bank of the Cumberlands changed it’s name to First National Bank of Tennessee.
The bank expanded into White County in 2005. A temporary banking office was located in front of its current building at 130 Sam Walton Drive. A Grand Opening celebration was held on June 22, 2007 to celebrate the construction of a new banking office.
On May 11, 2007, First National Bank celebrated with the Grand Opening of the bank’s second full service banking office in Putnam County, which was established at 330 West Main Street in Algood.
On December 10, 2008, First National Bank celebrated with the Grand Opening of the bank’s second full service banking office in Cumberland County, which was established at 5011 Peavine Road in Fairfield Glade.
First National has never merged with or acquired another bank. The bank remains family owned, locally operated, and continues to grow by addressing the needs of the community. The bank is proud that every First National Bank customer is a customer because they have chosen to be one.